EIGHT WAYS TO PREPARE AND STORE YOUR MATERIALS
After many years of helping people to effectively store, and easily retrieve, their materials, here are eight tips we’ve always found to be of use…
- It’s advisable to make several back-up copies of your material and then store them in different online and physical locations, such as cloud storage or password-protected CDs or DVDs
- When packing your storage boxes fill each one completely – even if by adding packing material – as this prevent the contents shifting as they are moved. It’s best for you not to use newspaper, as this can mean the print transfers to other surfaces
- As you pack your files, place binders in between groupings as this makes the end result slightly sturdier
- Make sure your boxes are also safe to be lifted
- It’s best to use airtight packaging to prevent damage from damp or mildew, and anti-static packaging is recommended for your videos, CDs and DVDs
- Clearly label your boxes using waterproof labels and permanent markers
- If you can, raise your storage containers slightly off the ground on a pallet
- Aim to stack each box with the oldest material to the bottom, and then older boxes to the back of your storage area
SCANNING, OR DISPOSING OF, YOUR DOCUMENTS
As you prepare your confidential documents for storage, you may find there are some that you wish to have scanned and stored electronically. Equally, you may discover content which need not be kept, but which must be safely shredded for security purposes. The FLEXiSPACE team, in conjunction with a range of approved and registered partners, can quickly provide either service for you.
FIND OUT HOW WE CAN BEST HELP YOU
FLEXiSPACE provides the office space, storage or self-storage unit you need in Greater Manchester – as well as those vital secure scanning and shredding services. To find out how we can help, call 0161 274 4777 for our Ashton Old Road site or 0161 635 7777 for our Middleton Site. You are also welcome to call in and inspect our facilities.