- On July 17, 2013
According to the recently published survey by Deloitte Real Estate and the Self Storage Association, Manchester has 528,000 square feet of Self Storage space, which is enough to fill the Manchester Arena 4 times! This equates to more Storage Space than any other City in the UK, with the exception of London.
Whilst the figures might appear staggering, this only equates to 0.83sq feet per head of Manchester population, some way off the 6.4sq feet of Storage Space available in the US – where Self Storage originated and is far more deeply ingrained into the American culture.
The report further highlights trends within the buyer mindset, not least the following uses:-
- Apartment dwellers maximising home floor space
- Businesses securing stock, documents, exhibition equipment etc
- Businesses who currently store in expensive office space and want cost savings
- Students, and particularly overseas students
The report highlights the size and scale of the UK Self Storage market as follows:-
- 830 Self Storage Facilities nationally
- 30.1m square feet of Storage Space
- Industry turnover of almost £400million
- 400 different operators
- 2,000 people employed
- FLEXiSPACE.com one of the most recent to open
Deloitte were kind enough to mention FLEXiSPACE’s newly opened facility on Ashton Old Road, Manchester, M12 as we had contributed to the survey and work closely with their Real Estate Team on an ongoing basis.